Rock ‘n’ Roll Christmas
Shop Museum of the Gulf Coast
Holiday dollars will go far at the Museum of the Gulf Coast gift shop, where you can send a “piece of your heart” via Janis Joplin-related goodies and other fun swag to put under the tree. Becky Guidry, the Museum’s gift shop coordinator, will be your personal Santa to check off those Christmas list items.
Woodstock is still happening at Museum of the Gulf Coast. Even if you weren’t there, you can get the T-shirt. Wrap up a Janis Joplin shirt for all your hippie-chic friends and thrown in a Jimi Hendrix shirt for to hit more high notes for music lovers on your gift list.
Stocking Stuffers for All Ages
What proud baby Texan doesn’t need a Don’t Mess With Texas or tie died all-in-one? How cool would it be to own a brick from Janis Joplin’s childhood home?
“Who doesn’t love a stuffed possum?” Guidry said. Reminds you of the swamps back home.
Been to Antone’s in Austin? Clifford Antone and his love of music began in Port Arthur. Wear your fandom on a T-shrit. Lighthouse lovers can light up a tree with ornaments and work a cute lighthouse puzzle in an even cuter tin.
Book it Under the Tree
Notable People from actress Evelyn Keyes and Zydeco musician Wayne Toups to sports greats such as Bum Phillips are featured in museum displays. In the gift shop. peruse adult and youth books by local authors, including:
- “Sunrise Over Keith Lake: A Cajun Autobiographical Cookbook” – James LaBove
- “Change Agent” – Damon West
- “Coffee Bean” – Damon West
- “The Silver Shoes” – Little Joe Washington
- “Standing Tall” – Kevin Everett
- “Middle School Rules” – Jamaal Charles
- “Love is in the Air” – Terry Savoy Hadley
- “Butch Goes to School” – Terry Savoy Hadley
- “The Liar’s Club” – Mary Karr
- “Betting, Booze, and Brothels” – Wanda A. Landry