You can’t beat the view from the top of the bridge. Come earn your bragging rights at this fourth annual Pleasure Island Bridge Half Marathon, Moore for Kids, 10K & Kinsel Ford 2-Miler.
Get in training or just watch hundreds of runners and walkers get over the impressive bridge that leads to waterside fun in Port Arthur. The big run will begin at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 7.
There’s a bright neon green T-shirt and splashy medal in the deal for participants. The Port Arthur Convention & Visitors Bureau will furnish runners with a bridge-printed band that can be worn on the head, neck and wrist. That’s how we want to welcome you to our island.
Richard James calls the island a “hidden gem” and visitors will agree, with views of Sabine Lake, a boardwalk and the chance for some birding. Get a glimpse of the Pleasure Island Marina’s floating docks.
“Participants from previous years have raved about the scenic course and the amazing views,” James said. “From the spectacular, panoramic aerial views on the bridge to the island experience, there is something for everyone. For those who complete the half marathon distance, they are treated to the bridge views, sights along the levy – running with water along both sides of the road – beautiful homes in the Marina Colony and running or walking along the wooden boardwalk at the water’s edge.”
Michael O’Keefe, the run’s safety director, says runners get a chance to tackle the bridge in a scenic atmosphere.
“I think the island is so beautiful,” he said.
The Hampton Inn and Suites of Port Arthur is the host hotel. Enjoy the rest of your weekend in Port Arthur by birding on Pleasure Island or with a stop at Museum of the Gulf Coast. Our Faith Trail views include the Buu Mon Buddhist Temple; Queen of Peace statue of Mary in our Vietnamese community; and Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine.
General Information on the SETMA Pleasure Island Bridge Half Marathon, Moore for Kids 10K and Kinsel Ford 2 Mile:
- Half Marathon and 10K, take on the challenge of a bridge 5,032 feet in length and 165 feet above the Sabine-Neches Canal.
- 2 Miles, enjoy the speed of a flat, fast course.
- Overall and Age group trophies for all three distances.
- Finisher’s Medals for Half Marathon and 10K finishers.
- Commemorative tech shirts for all registrants. The course time limit is 3.5 hours. This means you would have to hold at least a 15 minute mile to do the full run. If you cannot hold this pace or faster, organizers suggest you register for the 10K. The 10K also goes over the bridge.
- For information, contact email@example.com ; Sign up through www.sportssocietyforamericanhealth.org