The 48th annual Groves Pecan Festival is now four days instead of three. Have “Fun in a Nutshell” from Thursday, Oct. 26 through Sunday, Oct. 29
Fun in a Nutshell is the theme for the Groves Pecan Festival, with a carnival, contests and good eats that including boudain balls, barbecue, funnel cake, burgers and pork-a-bobs. For years Groves residents, neighbors to us in Port Arthur, have celebrated this nut. They’d love you to join in. There is no admission charge.
Join in nutty fun at Lions Park, on the corner of Lincoln and Jackson streets in Groves. The Groves Chamber of Commerce has information on entertainment and parade to begin at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28. Call them at (409) 962-3631 for more ideas on good times in the area. Groves offers a quaint shopping district on Lincoln Avenue, near Celebration Park.
After your fill of festival food on a stick, try one of our area’s seafood restaurants, such as Larry’s French Market in Groves, where you can twirl to live music with Cajun and zydeco sounds.
This cool weather season is also great for a drive to Pleasure Island and Sea Rim State Park. The Pleasure Island Half Bridge Marathon will begin early on the morning of Nov. 4.
Festival schedule highlights include local entertainment and music throughout the festival and these events:
Thursday, Oct. 26
* 5-10 p.m. – Continuous entertainment, carnival, food and craft booths open.
* 6 p.m. – Halloween costume contest
Friday, Oct. 27
* 5-11 p.m. – Continuous entertainment, carnival, food and craft booths open.
* 7:30 p.m. – Entertainment by Curse and the Cure
Saturday, Oct. 28
* 9:30 a.m. – Parade in downtown Groves, from 39th Street and Cleveland Avenue.
* 11 a.m. – Festival kick-off at Lion’s Park
* 5 p.m. – Pecan Festival Royalty
* 5:30 p.m. – Lamar Jazz Band
*7:30 p.m. – The Thick as Thieves Band
Sunday, Oct. 29
* 11 a.m. – Festival open
* 1 p.m. – Pet show
* 3-6 p.m. – Music and local entertainment