Mexican Heritage Society celebrates 49th Fiesta in Port Arthur
The Mexican Heritage Society will host its 49th annual Fiesta on Saturday, Sept. 9, at the Robert A. “Bob” Bowers Civic Center, 3401 Cultural Drive in Port Arthur, Texas.
For 49 years Fiesta, which commemorates Mexico’s Independence from Spain, has kept the Mexican culture alive in Southeast Texas by sharing the beauty and history of Mexican heritage at this much-anticipated event.
Opening Ceremonies at 9:30 a.m. kick off “FIESTA 49” celebrations with a welcome by the Mayor of Port Arthur, Derrick Freeman and the presentation of the Colors.
The Children’s Costume Contest, showcasing young children modeling traditional Mexican costumes will follow. Festivities throughout the day include pageants and crowning of five queens and a Mr. Jovencito King, and the society’s own Folklorico Dancers in vibrant and colorful Mexican costumes, dancing traditional dances from various states and regions of Mexico.
Fiesta will include a live Mariachi group, an array of delicious foods, face painting, prizes and special entertainment throughout the event.
The Mexican Heritage Folkloric Dancers will dazzle attendees with their foot work and swirling skirts, a must for everyone to enjoy, as they are the pride of Southeast Texas, organizers say.
Evening entertainment will feature a Promenade of all Fiesta Royalty, DJ Music, and the musical sounds of the well-known local group “Magia Loca.” Dance the night away and try to win a prize of a Vizio Smart TV, a Yeti Cooler or a Cruiser Bicycle.
Admission fees for the entire event will be: $10 for ages 11 to 64; $8 for seniors 65 and older; free for children 10 and younger when accompanied by an adult.
- 9 a.m. – doors open
- 9:30 a.m. – opening ceremonies, welcome, America’s National Anthem, Mexico’s National Anthem, guest speakers
- 10 a.m. – Children’s costume contest
- 10:30 a.m. – Pageants: Miss Preciosa, Tiny Miss, Jr. Miss, Mr. Jovencito, Little Miss, Miss Mexican Heritage
- 12:30 p.m. – Local talent
- 1 p.m. – Mexican Heritage Society’s Folkloric Dancers, directed by Maestro Jose Sada
- 2:30 p.m. – Mariachi Aventurero Show
- 5 p.m. – Fiesta Scholarship Fundraiser – Split the Pot
- 5:30 p.m. – Parade of States
- 6 p.m. – Special entertainment
- 7 p.m. – Royalty parade
- 8 p.m. – Baile with music by Magia Loca
While in town, visit Museum of the Gulf Coast for a Jurassic to Joplin experience, and enjoy a waterside view of Sabine Lake from Pleasure Island. For more ideas, go to www.visitportarthurtx.com.